Luckily Nana and Jason volunteered to help and it was actually pretty fun. We set up some speakers, got Pandora comedy channel going and went to work. Needless to say the job took awhile due to needing multiple coats of primer and paint (and no, the Primer/Paint in one DID NOT work for us. Tried it, it flopped).
But unfortunately, after a few days, I wasn't much help. I started getting some funky, ridiculously itchy bumps on my arms. I'm allergic to basically everything and just thought it was the detergent on the sheets or something. Well, it didn't get better, and actually started getting worse. I ended up with a full body rash that even started on my face. By day 3 we finally figured out it was probably something in the paint and by that point, I was so insanely uncomfortable it was time for a trip to urgent care. The doctor was especially concerned because it had started appearing on my palms and was making me nauseated. So I got a lovely shot of steroids in the tush and was sent home with a two week supply of oral steroids in pill and liquid form. That was the end of my painting fun and my new trip into the land of 24/7 drowsy from the meds.
But enough of that lovely story, on to the before and afters!!!
This is the main living room complete with three awesome colors. Pea green and both light and dark brown walls. Um no thanks.
Online I had found and fallen in love with this little accent carpet and had to have it. So I thought it would be cool to paint the walls in the living room the matching color. (This rug is the navy version. Ours is actually a dark blue/grey color)
So after several swatches and trial areas we finally found the perfect color. It's already prepped for paint if you're wondering what all the white spots are. (The color is actually a smidge lighter than in these pictures.)
Then came the dining room, which we will actually be using as a play room. This was the old color. Not terrible, just a little much for my tastes for what we wanted to use it for.
We decided to go with one shade lighter than that of the living room because it would also go with the color we were planning to use in the kitchen and would make for a nice flow. (Again, also a bit lighter than in this picture.)
Next up was the kitchen. This one was a doozy to paint. This salmony red/orange color was so dark that it probably took the most time and coats of all the rooms.
For the kitchen we decided to use a light sandy color to match with the foyer, both up and down stairwells and the upstairs hallway. (We actually took a small patch from near the floor to get a color match).
This way the whole main floor flowed together. (It's little brighter than these pics)
Now that we had the main floor good to go, it was time to head on upstairs. We started on Isabella's room, because that one was going to take a while. I'm guessing they chose these colors based on the curtains they left (which we actually like and plan to use in the playroom). But, they were still a little... much let's say. (Note the sweet lighting fixture. 99% of the light fixtures in the house are going as well. *cough**cough*)
We actually let Izzy choose her own color for her room. She chose this amazingly bright pink. Who needs a light fixture?!? We actually plan to eventually add some beadboard and chair rail to the bottom half and Izzy also wants some white poka dots. We may just go with decals for that part.
Then came Adeline's room. Her room was super easy. It started out white!
Originally I was thinking to do her room a light lilac color, but after painting the playroom, I really really liked the color. It gave off such a nice sky feeling that we thought it would go beautifully with the tree and animal wall decals that we already have for her room. So we used up the rest of the playroom paint. (Note another sweet lighting fixture. Bye bye!)
Lastly was the master! (Dang those fans. Too much gold for me. I'm a more muted color person. Less shiny.) This room started out as actually a nice light blue. I didn't hate this color, it just wasn't what I had envisioned.
I actually found this picture on Pinterest and used it as my main inspiration (I didn't have the original link). Through a lot of searching, I actually came to find out they used white Duct tape to achieve their stripes. It was a special kind of decorative Duct tape, but I still wasn't hip to the idea of using it on my walls.
So, after priming, (since by this point I was mostly out of the painting scene), I set out with a yard stick, a pencil, and some painters tape and got to prepping the wall. Now here is where most people give tips on the best way to do these kind of things. I will spare you, because heaven knows there is a MUCH easier way to do this. The anal retentive, perfectionist part of me kept taping and re-taping trying to get it just right. It quite literally took me 8 hours to get this one accent wall taped up. OUCH! (Though I will say, I have learned that for best results it is best to tape before priming. See, there's a tip!)
But I was quite happy with the results. I forgot to get a pic before furniture was moved in so here it is with furniture. I'm also making a teal accented wall decor for above the bed. (This is the only wall with the decoration. We used it as an accent wall. The other three walls are just the light gray.)
So that was our adventures in painting. I know the decorating and adding our own touches will come with time so instead of doing teeny bits and pieces as we go, in a few months I'll do an Adding Our Own Touches post as by that time we should hopefully have a good chunk of it decorated. Though I'm sure it will be ever changing. ;o)